Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hitting the Slopes

I haven't been skiing much this year but I've had a chance to go with the Special Ed students to The Ability Center at Park City Resort.  It is a wonderful place that is such a blessing to each of these children.  They offer horseback riding, rock climbing, skiing and snowboarding in the winter.  They have special equipment and instructors many who have overcome physical handicaps themselves who work with the children.  It is very inspiring to observe paralyzed, one legged, deaf, blind, or mentally challenged people who have worked to overcome their limitations.  I admire the participants as well as the instructors.
One of the instructors posing with his students and a proud grandma who came to watch.  
This is Madison going out with her instructor.  It is always a fun thing to tell the other students when we get back what a great skier she is.  She gets very little positive attention as she struggles to do her schoolwork in her regular classes.
This was the Tate's reaction after getting all geared up and on the snow.  He loves the days we go skiing.  The instructors do such a good job and it gives the kids a wonderful sense of accomplishment. 
After I took photos of Tate he wanted to take a photo of me.
Here I am on a perfect Blue Bird day..blue sky and just right snow. When I get there I always enjoy the beautiful surroundings and company.    I know how happy it makes David when I go with him.  I mostly ski alone since he is the master of the hill and I feel intimidated when he zooms down the hill and waits while I catch up.  I'm proud that I've learned to ski at all and I'm better than I thought I would be.  David is taking the time to teach the Bellessa grand daughters to ski and I look forward going down the greens with them. 

2 comments:

  1. I hope to get out skiing again sometime soon. I really like it. It looks like you had a great time. How fun to go to Park City for work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, hilma, you make the cutest snow bunny! so we're moving back to the condo. :) looking forward to seeing you more! xoxo, katrina

    ReplyDelete